|Rauno Halme MG TD Mk II 1951|
The 1950 TD Midget combined the TC's drivetrain, a modified hypoid-geared rear axle, the MG Y-type chassis, a familiar T-type style body and independent suspension using coil springs from the MG Y-type saloon: a 1950 road-test report described as "most striking" the resulting "transformation...in the comfort of riding". Also lifted from the company's successful 1¼-litre saloon for the TD was the (still highly-geared) rack and pinion steering. In addition the TD featured smaller 15-inch (380 mm) disc type road wheels, a left-hand drive option and standard equipment bumpers and over-riders. The car was also 5 inches (130 mm) wider with a track of 50 inches (1,300 mm).
For the driver the "all-weather protection" was good by the standards of the time. For night driving, instrument illumination was "effective but not dazzling, by a pale green lighting effect". There was still no fuel gauge, but the 11 British gallons of tank capacity gave a range between refuelling stops of about 300 miles (480 km) and a greenlight on the facia flashed a "warning" when the fuel level was down to about 2½ British gallons (>3 US gallons / >11 litres).
In 1950 the TD MkII was introduced, produced alongside the standard car, with a more highly tuned engine using a 8.0:1 compression ratio giving 57 bhp (43 kW) at 5500 rpm. The higher compression ratio engine was offered with export markets in mind, and would not have been suitable for the UK where thanks to the continued operation of wartime fuel restrictions, buyers were still limited to 72 octane "Pool petrol". The TC MkII also featured twin fuel pumps, revised dampers, and a higher rear-axle ratio.