lauantai 25. elokuuta 2012

Alfa Romeo C6

Alfa Romeo C6 1939
The Alfa Romeo 6C name was used on road, race and sports cars made between 1925–1954 by Alfa Romeo. 6C refers to a straight 6 engine. Bodies for these cars were made by coachbuilders such as James Young, Zagato, Touring, Castagna, and Pininfarina. Starting from 1933 there was also a 6C version with a factory Alfa body, built in Portello. In the early 1920s Vittorio Jano got a task to create a lightweight, high performance vehicle to replace the Giuseppe Merosi designed RL and RM models. The car was introduced in April 1925 at the Salone dell’ Automobile di Milano as the 6C 1500. It was based on the P2 racing car, using single overhead cam 1,487 cc inline six-cylinder motor producing 44 horsepower, in the 1928 was presented the 1500 Sport which was the first Alfa Romeo road car with double overhead camshafts.
Alfa Romeo C6 1939

6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro

The 6C 2500 Freccia d'Oro (Golden Arrow) was the first postwar Alfa Romeo it was built 680 through 1951, with bodies by Alfa. The car was Berlina bodystyle with 5-6 seats based on 2500 Sport. It has wheelbase of 3,000 millimetres (120 in) and it weights 1,550 kilograms (3,400 lb). With 4-speed manual gearbox this 90 bhp (67 kW) car could achieve top speed of 155 kilometres per hour (96 mph).
6C 2500 Villa d'Este



Alfa Romeo C6 1939

The 6C 2500 Villa d'Este was introduced in 1949 and was produced until 1952, named for the Concorso d'Eleganza held in Villa d'Este; a Touring Superleggera-bodied version won the prize. Villa d'Este was Alfa's last hand built model, only 36 examples made.
6C 2500 Coloniale



Alfa Romeo C6 1939
The 2500 Coloniale was a special version of 6C, used by the highest military authorities and government. The car was designed by the request of the Italian Ministry of Defense in 1938 for use in the numerous Italian colonies. At that time, the Italian had many colonies in Africa. Two prototypes of the model Alfa 6C 2500 Coloniale were manufactured by Alfa Romeo in 1939. Giambattista Guidotti had been instructed to test two prototypes in East Africa. He had already led an Alfa Romeo 8C 2300B Mille Miglia in 1937. The car will be the first to be manufactured using technology developed by the renowned Carrozzeria Touring, the Superleggera. Actual production began in 1941. The car had two spare wheels, a fuel tank of 120 liters and four additional reserves with a capacity of 70 liters of gasoline. In addition, the differential can be locked from the dashboard by the driver. Production of Coloniale stopped in 1942 due to the war, when 150 vehicles, plus two prototypes were produced.

Alfa Romeo C6 1939

In 1934, the chief engineer of Alfa Romeo, Vittorio Jano, had been impressed by the new mid-engined Auto Union GP racer. Jano was aware of the advantages of a mid-engined car and wanted to make use of the same technology. He was planning to develop a dual-purpose car. as racer to be fitted with a 12 C engine and as sports car with an 6 C engine. But Alfa Romeo had never constructed a mid-engined car, and had no experience of the characteristics of such a design. He decided to develop in-house a V12 engine for Alfa Romeo’s standard GP chassis, which could later also be installed into the yet-to-be-developed mid-engined chassis which he wanted to construct. This was to be a top secret project. Chassis and body were designed and built outside the Alfa Romeo factory to hide it from competitors.



Alfa Romeo C6 1939

Jano, who was of Hungarian descent, was in contact with two other men also of Hungarian descent, who were interested in the project. They were the brothers Gino and Oscar Jankovits. They were brilliant students at the Polytechnic University in Jano’s home town of Turin, where Fiat and Alfa Romeo recruited their technical staff. The brothers became Alfa Romeo concessionaires and owned the biggest garage of Istria in Fiume – today called Rijeka. With their passion for race cars and the background of wealth, technical talent and the garage they were excited at being able to participate in this project, and they financed the entire project.



Alfa Romeo C6 1939
In 1934, Jano gave them a powerful, naturally aspirated 6C 2300 engine upgraded with three Weber carburettors. This would be the engine for the sports car project. Jankovits also got the transmission system, and a basic frame suitable for the 12 C engine, to be modified for a mid-engined racing car. Other mechanical systems such as suspensions and brakes were designed by the development team and built at Portello.
Alfa Romeo C6 1939

Each mechanical part produced for the new car was marked with a description and date of production, and with the position where it was to be mounted. The parts were then taken to Fiume, and between 1935 and 1936 were installed and tested by the Jankovits in a “running chassis”. Depending on test results, improvements were made, regardless of cost, until the systems worked to their satisfaction. All parts of the chassis were constructed very solid with view to high speed trials over 250 mph (400 km/h). The Aerospider’s chassis was the most advanced of its time and anticipated later designs by Mercedes and Auto Union. It was the first car with a suspension designed with wishbones, hydraulic dampers, transverse leaf springs, radius arms and torsion bars. Other pioneering features were devices to eliminate overbraking and a sophisticated system of gear change with pre-selection.



Alfa Romeo C6 1939


The breathtaking aerodynamic shape of the car also anticipated the later high speed designs of Auto Union by 4 years. It was designed by Oscar Jankovits, who was probably in contact with Josef Mickl, Porsche's specialist of aerodynamics, and others of the former Habsburg Empire as Paul Jaray, the inventor of streamlined cars, and Bela Barenyi, the inventor of the “Volkswagen”. The exceptional streamlined steel body was built by workers at the Jankovits Garage in Fiume between 1936 and 1937.

The Aerospider was to have been fitted with the newly developed V12 engine (430 hp) of Alfa Romeo - a "12 C Aerodinamica Spider" - which would have made it a serious competitor to Auto Union and Mercedes Benz. But in 1937, when the car was ready to make its public appearance, the project was abruptly stopped when Vittorio Jano was dismissed by Alfa Romeo. Jankovits could no longer get the 12 C engine. They mounted the 6 C 2300 which they had got for the sports car project, and they made the prototype suitable for use on the road by adding user-friendly components such as a bigger windscreen, a heating system and bumpers. The car still has its original licence plate and documents of registration.

Any public appearance of the futuristic looking Aerospider would have caused a sensation, but because of the secrecy surrounding the project, and then the onset of the war, the prototype remained hidden in the Jankovits’ garage in Fiume, and was not seen by anyone from outside the garage. On Christmas Eve 1946, Gino Jankovits drove the Aerospider at full speed under the toll-bar of the closed communist controlled border into Italy. Border guards fired volleys of shots after him, but the low, streamlined body saved Gino’s life. Only the rear tyres were destroyed by the bullets, which also caused some dents in the rear of the car’s bodywork. To get money they had to sell their car to an Anglo-American officer. Then the Alfa disappeared for about 20 years until it was rediscovered in England. In 1978 the Aerospider was recognized by the well-known Alfa Romeo historian Luigi Fusi, who had worked with Vittorio Jano at the time of the Aerospider project. He wanted to acquire the car for the Alfa Romeo Museum. The acquisition failed, but the prototype did eventually return to Italy, 30 years after its birth, to be restored at last to its original condition as a racing car.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.