lauantai 8. joulukuuta 2012

Mercedes 320 - Gentlemanly Benz Watch

Mercedes 320 Tourbillion

 Automotive enthusiast and designer Marko Petrovic’s Mercedes 320 Tourbillion watch is an homage to the Mercedes Benz type 320, a cabriolet first introduced in 1937. Inspired by the instrument cluster of the 320, the Tourbillion exhibits the same meticulous attention to detail and overall elegance still found in the brand today. Another nod to the automotive influence are hours and minutes shown as miles or kilometers in a racing scale

Mercedes 320 Tourbillion

 Mercedes 320 tourbillon watch was design as tribute to Mercedes-Benz type 320, firstly introduced in mid-1937. This car was special because it was given an independent front and rear suspension, with coil springs at all four corners. This gave the car impressive road manners while keeping the passengers comfortable.

Mercedes 320 Tourbillion
 This watch was born from the necessity of creating purely car oriented watch. The main goal of this watch is to show the obvious resemblance with the Mercedes car brand pointing out elegancy above all. Highly precision and attention to details refers to ‘German precision’.

Mercedes 320 Tourbillion
 The overall Mercedes 320 tourbillon watch design was inspired by the instrument cluster, so with that spirit in mind, the routine of reading the time has been broken. The hours and minutes are shown as miles (kilometers) in a racing scale, expressing the ‘car feeling’. The main impact was made by a tourbillon with the shape of a Mercedes logo, clearly pointing the brand identity.

Mercedes-Benz 320 Cabriolet B (1937)
 The Mercedes-Benz Type 320 was available in three Cabriolet versions, designated by code letters. The racy and relatively expensive sports version was the Cabriolet A. The Cabriolet B was a two-door, 4-window style that front and rear seating. The third type was the Cabriolet D, a four-door, four-window style that was a true Roadster Model.

This 1937 Mercedes-Benz 320 Cabriolet B was shipped to Japan when new, where it was assigned to the German Embassy. It was retained by the Embassy for many years. In the 1990s, it was obtained by a private and prestigious motor museum in Japan. It was retained by the museum for many years. In 2008, it was offered for sale at the 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia', marking its first appearance to North America.

It is in original condition and has been very well preserved. At auction, the car was sold for $260,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.

The car was initially built with the same 2,700 mm (110 in) wheelbase as the Typ 200 (W 21). It also inherited the sophisticated all-round independent suspension system originally introduced with the manufacturer’s smaller Mercedes-Benz W15 model. There was no full width axle at the front, the wheels being suspended from two transverse leaf springs. At the back there were two half swing-axles.

Mercedes-Benz 230 Innenlenker (1937)

  The body was further lengthened, however, with standard bodied cars now coming in at 4,400 mm (170 in), while the width had increased to 1,370 mm (54 in). The 6 cylinder 2,229cc unit was the one that had first been seen a year earlier as part of the 1936 upgrade on the W 21 model, but now it was matched up to a more conventional four speed manual transmission. The top ratio on the 2,229 cc version of the earlier model had been in effect an overdrive. Claimed top speed was 116 km/h (72 mph).

Mercedes-Benz 230 Pullman-Limousine (1937)

 At launch the base chassis version of the car came with a recommended retail price of 4,200 Marks. Customers wishing to buy a W 143 with one of the Mercedes standard bodies could choose between a two or four door “Limousine” (saloon/sedan) retailing respectively at 4,990 Marks or 5,270 Marks, or one of several cabriolet or roadster models, mostly with only two seats and costing more. The grill was raked backwards and, on the standard car, had no bar for the mounting of lights, all of which helped to enhance the sleek appearance of the front.

Mercedes-Benz 230 Cabriolet A (1937)
 The result of putting a 4,400 mm (170 in) car body on the old 2,700 mm (110 in) was one or two very long overhangs: in the case of the 1937 W143 the overhang was concentrated at the back. Whether because the excessive rear overhang looked rather odd, or for other reasons, the original W 143 failed to gain market acceptance, and although the short-wheelbase cars continued to be offered for sale till the end of 1937, well before that the model had effectively been relaunched with the longer 3,050 mm (120 in) wheelbase that had already been offered on special long wheel base version of the Mercedes Typ 200 (W 21) for several years.

Mercedes-Benz 230 Cabriolet B (1937)
 In addition to having a wheelbase lengthened by 350 mm (14 in), the relaunched W143 came with a further 180 mm (7.1 in) increase in body length. Most standard bodied cars were now 4,580 mm (180 in) long, although the six-light Pullman-Limousine bodied cars were longer even than that at 4,790 mm (189 in). There was no longer a two-door “Limousine” (sedan/saloon) body offered, but the overall range of available bodies was actually greater than with the earlier version of the car, now including six seater “Landaulet” and “Tourenwagen (Touring Car)” bodies as well as a four door four seater cabriolet (known as the “Cabriolet D”) and a “Kraftdroschke” targeted at taxi operators.

Mercedes-Benz 230 Cabriolet D (1937)
 The engine on the second 1937 version of the car was unchanged, as were the gear ratios. However, the gear box now incorporated synchromesh on all four forward ratios where as the earlier W143 had included synchromesh only for the two top ratios.

Mercedes-Benz 230 Offener Tourenwagen (1937)
 The Mercedes-Benz 260 D, launched in 1936 as one of the world’s first two diesel engined passenger cars, also underwent a significant upgrade in 1937. The new car shared the wheelbase and platform as well as most of the body options of the W143, but the diesel powered car had a different works number. It was known as the Mercedes-Benz W138.

Avus 1937
 The Automobil-Verkehrs- und Übungsstraße ('Automobile traffic and training road'), better known as AVUS, is a public road in Berlin, Germany. Opened in 1921, it is the oldest controlled-access highway in Europe, which until 1998 was also used as a motor racing circuit. Today the AVUS forms the northern part of the Bundesautobahn 115.

The Silver Arrows raced only once on the banked version, in 1937. As the AVUS race did not count towards the championship, non-GP cars were allowed, which permitted the use of streamlined cars, similar to the cars used for high speed record attempts. Merecedes pilot Hermann Lang's average race speed of about 276 km/h (171 mph) was not beaten at Indianapolis Indy 500 for three decades.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Huomaa: vain tämän blogin jäsen voi lisätä kommentin.