|MG Midget Sport 1934|
|MG Magnette 1934|
The MG Car Company got its name from Morris Garages, a dealer of Morris cars in Oxford which began producing its own customised versions to the designs of Cecil Kimber, who had joined the company as its sales manager in 1921. He was promoted to general manager in 1922, a position he held until 1941 when he fell out with Lord Nuffield over procuring wartime work. Kimber died in 1945 in a railway accident.
|MG Magnette 1934|
MG NB Magnette Airline coupé
|Sicura Chronograph Caliber 7734|
produced by Sicura, and was made very shortly after their take over of the Breitling plant in 1975. It was made as a Limited Edition piece for the famous English Car - MG - to celebrate their 50th anniversary and only 1000 pieces were made. This is a large piece that measures 43mm across without the crown or pushers and 45mm from top to bottom of the flush lugs.
|Sicura Chronograph Caliber 7734|
Nowadays, Sicura wristwatches are collected but ordinary models do not fetch very high prices. Sicura watches are easily identified by the nice coat-of-arms on the back. Other models are remarkable only by their lower quality manufacture. Often inexpensive movements and non-steel cases were used for the cheaper models. Sicura watches were popular in their day, though, because they were inexpensive and kept pace with latest watch design fashions. Sicura's attention to fashion lead them to produce a diverse range of timepieces.
"In 1979, the Breitling firm was closed. The low-priced offerings from the Far East, the price war, the inflated Swiss Franc, the increasing shift to electronic watches on the part of the public, and finally the illness of Willy Breitling, are the basic reasons that caused him to close down his firm. Despite this, Willy Breitling wanted to keep the name of this world famous firm alive and looked for a practical solution. A saviour came to Breitling's rescue in the person of Ernest Schneider. He was convinced that the Breitling brand was worth the effort of saving as it had always stood for excellent quality and had the potential to keep doing so.
After long consideration, Ernest decided that the Sicura brand would step down because of Breitling's greater potential. Some of the Breitling watches produced after 1979 share similar features with Sicura watches from the same period and therefore look somewhat alike. These three models were the Jupiter, Mars and Pluto chronographs. This is why often sellers are claiming the Sicura brand is linked to Breitling, but in fact these are two different watch brands under the leadership of the same man in different periods of time."
|Hilton MG logo Watch|
This Classic timepiece features clean & simple understated elegant styling, It has all high polished top, sides, beveled bezel & Extended & Drop Lugs,The watch measurers 34.25mm wide (not counting the stem & crown) by 41.40mm lug to lug. All Original and 4 time Hilton Factory Signed & Hallmarked. Double factory signed, 17 Jewel, Caliber 330, precision manual wind movement from the famous Ebauches S.A. This is the prestigious 17 firm Swiss company that hosted Valjoux, Venus, ETA, Unitas and other fine watch movement manufacturers.
Silvered background dial with red enameled MG logo & two stars, dress bar/stick hour markers, black enameled dress "cross-hairs sub seconds register and logos
|MG 1934 - The Autocar Magazine|
The MG L-type was produced by the MG Car company in 1933 and 1934.
This 2-door sports car used a smaller version of the 6-cylinder overhead camshaft, crossflow engine which now had a capacity of 1086 cc with a bore of 57 mm and stroke of 71 mm and produced 41 bhp (31 kW) at 5500 rpm. It was previously fitted in the 1930 Wolseley Hornet and the 1931 MG F-type Magna. Drive was to the rear wheels through a four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox. The chassis was a narrower version of that used in the K-type with suspension by half-elliptic springs all round with rigid front and rear axles.
The car had a wheelbase of 94 inches (2388 mm) and a track of 42 inches (1067 mm).
The brakes, which were the same as in the J2, were cable-operated, with 12-inch (300 mm) drums all round.
The body kept the sloping radiator seen on the F-Type, but the car now had sweeping wings, and the four-seater had cut-away doors.
The L1 was the four-seat, coupé and saloon version and the L2 the 2-seater. The coupé, or Continental Coupé as it was called, was available in some very striking two-tone colours but was a slow seller, and the 100 that were made were available for a long time after the rest of the range had sold out. As a rarity, it is now a highly desirable car. The bodies for the small saloon or salonette version was not made by MG, but bought in from Abbey.
The L-Type was a successful competition car, with victories in the 1933 Alpine Trial and Brooklands relay race.
When new, a L1 tourer cost £299 and a Continental Coupé £350.
The MG J-type was produced by the MG Car company from 1932 to 1934. This 2-door sports car used an updated version of the overhead camshaft, crossflow engine, used in the 1928 Morris Minor and Wolseley 10 and previously fitted in the MG M-type Midget of 1929 to 1932, driving the rear wheels through a four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox. The chassis was from the D-Type with suspension by half-elliptic springs and Hartford friction shock absorbers all round with rigid front and rear axles. The car had a wheelbase of 86 inches (2184 mm) and a track of 42 inches (1067 mm). Most cars were open two-seaters, but a closed salonette version of the J1 was also made, and some chassis were supplied to external coachbuilders. The open cars can be distinguished from the M type by having cut-away tops to the doors.
The J1 was the four-seat car in the range. The engine was the 847 cc unit previously seen in the C-type with twin SU carburetors giving 36 bhp. The car cost £220 in open and £225 in Salonette form.
The J2 was the commonest car in the range and was a road-going two-seater. Early cars had cycle wings, but these were replaced in 1933 by the full-length type that was typical of all sports MGs until the 1950s TF. The top speed of a standard car was 65 mph (105 km/h), but a specially prepared one tested by The Autocar magazine reached 82 mph (132 km/h). The car cost £199.
There were a few serious failings of the J2, most seriously that it only had a two-bearing crank shaft which can break if over-revved. The overhead-camshaft is driven by a vertical shaft through bevel gears, a shaft which also forms the armature of the dynamo. Thus any oil leak from the cambox seal goes into the dynamo brushgear, presenting a fire hazard.
Another problem is that it is not fitted with hydraulic brakes, but has Bowden cables to each drum. These require no more pedal force than any other non-power-assisted drum brake, provided that they are well maintained. The drums themselves are small and even in period it was a common modification to replaced them with larger drums from later models.
The non-synchromesh gearbox takes some getting used to, as for any car of this period, but with its short gear stick it becomes second nature to double de-clutch and rare to grind the gears.
The J3 was a racing version with the engine capacity reduced to 746 cc by shortening the stroke from 83 to 73 mm and fitted with a Powerplus supercharger. The smaller engine capacity was to allow the car to compete in 750 cc class racing events. Larger brakes from the L-type were fitted.
The J4 was a pure racing version with light-weight body work and the J3 engine, but using more boost from the supercharger to obtain 72 bhp.
The MG P-type was produced by the MG Car company from 1934 to 1936. This 2-door sports car used an updated version of the overhead camshaft, crossflow engine, used in the 1928 Morris Minor and Wolseley 10 and previously fitted in the J-type Midget of 1932 to 1934, driving the rear wheels through a four-speed non-synchromesh gearbox. The chassis was a strengthened and slightly longer version of that used in the J-type with suspension by half-elliptic springs all round with rigid front and rear axles. Steering was initially by a Marles Weller and later a Bishop Cam system. The two-seat car had a wheelbase of 87 inches (2210 mm) and a track of 42 inches (1067 mm). Most cars were open two seaters, but streamlined Airline coupé bodies were also made. The P-type was also available as a four-seater, a car that suffered from a lack of power and poor rear ground clearance. Whereas J, K and L-type MGs differentiated between versions with the use of numbers, with 1 indicating a four-seater (i.e., J1) and 2 a two-seater (i.e., J2), this was not the case with the P-type (or its six-cylinder sister, the N-type Magnette), and there is no clue to the type in the name.
The first version, the PA used an 847 cc engine similar to the one on the J-Type, but now with a 3-bearing crankshaft, larger camshaft and twin SU carburettors. It produced 36 bhp (27 kW) at 5,500 rpm.
The PB produced from 1935 had a bigger 939 cc engine made by enlarging the bore from 57 to 60 mm and this increased the output to 43 bhp (32 kW). Externally the versions are very similar, the main difference being the radiator grille, where the PA has a honeycomb and the PB has vertical slats. The other obvious difference is in the design and material of the standard dashboard.
Two thousand of the PA and 526 of the PB were produced. In 1935 a PA open two-seater cost £222.